Ever wonder what makes up your roof? While a roof is more than the sum of its parts, we still find it’s still helpful to know about the different parts.
Here’s a nice picture showing the different layers of your roof.
1. Roof Deck – The foundation or base upon which the entire roofing system is dependent.
2. Flashing – prevent water penetration or directs the flow of water.
3. Ventilation… – used to ventilate an attic or roof cavity.
4. Eaves protection – protects the roof against ice that builds up during winter freeze/thaw cycles.
5. Underlayment – a layer of protection between the roofing materials and your house.
6. Shingles – Well everyone should know this one!